Sunday, March 6, 2016

Going for a dark mood -- Fuji X camera and lenses

I'm just finishing up editing the images I took on my recent trip to the Dominican Republic. When selecting the location for my trip I was particularly interested in the look of the beach for some sea photos I had in mind. After doing some straight, commercial photography all day long, I switched over to something moodier as the sun set.

I took both a Nikon D750 and Fuji X-T1 kit with me on the trip, but ended up using the X-T1 for over 90% of my shooting. That small Fuji kit with its ease of focusing on the screen was just too tempting not to use. I also had a Fuji 16-55mm f/2.8 and the new 100-400mm with me and was anxious to try both of them out.

Many of the moody shots were done with a fog filter on the lens. This flattened out the contrast. Later in post-processing I added the contrast back in, which negated much of the fog effect, but created a deep, monochromatic mood to the photos.


  




This was one of my favorite images of the sun breaking out from above and behind some storm clouds and a sail boat making its way from the light towards the darkness. 





No comments :

Post a Comment