Saturday, April 25, 2015

Miami bound with my X-T1

I'm heading down to Miami for a weekend conference and two days of shooting lifestyle, one day in a hotel, the other on a sailboat -- assuming the weather cooperates. I spent the last week debating what camera to take as my main system, Nikon or Fuji. My confidence in the reliabilty of the Fuji X cameras to deliver the goods has increased a lot since I've been adding it to my normal shooting workflow. despite what I recounted in my blog post yesterday about going back to my trusty D4.

The Fuji X-T1 won out for the trip, although I am also carrying a Nikon D750 body as backup, since I know I can borrow the lenses for it in Miami, and I never like to travel without a backup.



I will be shooting both indoors and outdoors.  For me that means different lens sets. I like to use fast aperture primes inside to shoot mostly available light, or available light boosted with a fill light.  For this I packed my favorite lifestyle trio: Fuji 56mm f/1.2, 35mm f/1.4, and 23mm f/1.4. For outdoors, I included the 50-140mm f/2.8 and the 14mm f/2.8. And of course I'll have my go-everywhere 18-135mm zoom because I also plan on doing a lot of personal photography. Sounds like a lot of gear, but it all packed into one small camera bag. This mirrorless sytem is a whole lot less than I used to carry for on a DSLR trip.

A couple of Nikon SB-900 flash units with a set of  Yongnuo RF-603NII-N1 Wireless Flash Triggers and Gary Fong Lightspheres are included for fill light along with a few collapsible reflectors. A small tripod completes the package.

I expect to be able to post to the blog while travelling so stay tuned.

No comments :

Post a Comment