Friday, March 20, 2015

My Fuji X-T1 goes to the cleaners

Yesterday I posted an image I took with my Fuji X-T1 and an aperture setting of f/22. Normally, I would not use an aperture that stopped down, but events were happening rapidly and I did a quick setting so as not to miss the rapidly changing scene. Good thing I did because after only one exposure it was all over.

I mentioned in the post that using f/22 at least showed me how dirty my sensor had become. I did a cleaning of it myself, but decided it was time to treat the camera to a professional sensor cleaning. Generally, depending upon use, I have my cameras professionally cleaned once or twice a year. This is in addition to the normal cleanings I give the sensors whenever they seem to need it. My X-T1 was obviously long overdue for a serious visit to the cleaning professionals over at Foto Care.

I used to send my cameras back to the manufacturers for a major cleaning, despite the fact that I lost a lot of time that way because of having to mail them in and wait for service. Now I take them for a professional cleaning at Foto Care in New York City, where I get same day service and the camera gets as good, if not better, service as it did from the manufacturers.

In a clean room the camera is first treated to an exterior brushing to eliminate any exterior dust particles that might cause trouble during the sensor cleaning stage. 

Next the sensor is tested with the lens aperture set to f/8. A translucent filter is placed over the lens and a photo is taken of a pure white light.

The image is then analyzed at high contrast for dust, grime, or streaks. This is the first of several images that will be taken until the sensor it thoroughly clean.

Here the sensor is examined under a loupe to see exactly where the problem areas are.

The sensor is treated to a series of cleaning steps depending upon how dirty it is. My X-T1 was very dirty so it received the full treatment -- several times. 

One of the steps may include a swab cleaning. If you have never done this, you may want to leave it to the professionals. You can cause more trouble, not to mention damage, with a damp swab cleaning if you don't do it correctly. Oscar, who cleaned my X-T1, looked like he had performed this procedure a zillion times. Even so, he proceeded with the utmost caution. 

My X-T1 needed several swab cleanings. After each one the camera was re-examined with a sensor test and loupe examination until it was spot free. Foto Care charges $50 for this service -- well worth it, if you ask me. If you are in New York and want to treat your camera to a professional sensor cleaning, visit the fine folks at Foto Care. They clean every type of camera - DSLR, mirrorless, and cine. Foto Care is a shop visited by most New York professional photographers. It is located in the Photo District of New York at 43 West 22nd Street. When there, ask for Jeff, the owner. Tell him I sent you. You won't be disappointed.

Oscar hands me back my X-T1 with its sparkling sensor. Thanks Oscar!



1 comment :

  1. Great blog I mentioned in the post that using f/22 at least showed me how dirty my sensor had become. I did a cleaning of it myself, but decided it was time to treat the camera to a professional sensor cleaning. Generally, depending upon use, I have my cameras professionally cleaned once or twice a year.Thanks for sharing............

    Branding Agency In Singapore | Effective Branding Marketing Agency

    ReplyDelete